By: Anna Boyd
Photos by: Sophie Roberts
Spring Break may be over, but so are midterms, which makes Saint Patrick’s Day the perfect time to celebrate. Your plans are set for your St. Patty’s turn up, yet the thought of your look sends a small, pinch-induced chill down your spine – you have absolutely nothing green inside your closet. Red? Yes. Black? Definitely. But nothing even close to emerald, olive, or chartreuse.
Have no fear- here at Thirty Seventh, we’ve figured out how to keep you both festive and trendy: green makeup. Yes, this idea sounds mildly horrifying at first (commence mental flashbacks of poor middle school makeup choices), but there are a number of high quality green products on the market, and Saint Patrick’s Day provides the perfect opportunity for a little experimentation.
Here are three ways to incorporate this under-appreciated color into your eye makeup look this Thursday, guaranteed to leave your friends green with envy.
Luck of the Irish: ft Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Eyeshadow and Powder Blush in Peacock (ME302)
At first glance, this shadow seems to pack a potent green punch, but it’s actually quite understated. It applies onto the skin as more of a warm brown, and reveals its subtle green sheen when the light hits it just right.
- To prevent makeup meltdowns, start off with a primer like Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- Next, smooth Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Suspect over your lid for a dark beige color with a shimmer of gold. PRO TIP: Apply shimmery shadows using a slightly wet brush to better pick up the product and bring out its metallic tones.
- Now for the green. Using a small eyeshadow brush, apply the Make Up For Ever Shadow Eyeshadow to the outer crease of your eyes. The Laura Mercier Eye Crease Brush is perfect for this blended look since it’s short enough to provide total control while being flexible enough for buildable definition.
- To brighten up your eyes, use a light gold to highlight key areas like the very center of your eyelids and your inner corners. On Jacqueline, I used the Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Eyeshadow and Powder Blush in Golden Beige (ME512)
- Next, blend the various shadows by taking a fluffy blending brush like the gold end of Tarte’s Rainforest of the Sea™ Double-Ended Eyeshadow Brush and gently blending a matte, light brown into your crease and smoking it out.
- To add some green and pull together your festive look, use the Make Up For Ever shadow in Peacock as a liner. Take a short smudge brush like the Sephora Collection Classic Must Have Smudge Brush #70 and carefully apply the green along your bottom and top lash lines for definition.
- Finish with mascara for eyes more alluring than a pot of gold.
Four Leaf Clover: ft Kat Von D Lightning Liner in Juno
This beautiful metallic liner is sure to bring you luck this Saint Patrick’s day with its delicate green sparkle. Here we paired it with a light, dewy face to truly let this colored liner shine.
- After applying a primer, pat a light pink shade, like the Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Eyeshadow in Pink Ivory (I514), on the top of your lids, inner corners of your eyes, and directly underneath the arch of your brows for a dewy glow. Blend with a clean fluffy brush to keep the shimmer subtle and diffused.
- Now, take the Kat Von D Lightning Liner and be sure to test the brush’s tip on your wrist to ensure you have the right amount of product. Be warned: one twist can dispense an overload of product, so go slowly!
- Starting from your inner corners and working outwards, use the brush and create your edgy, metallic wing.
- Follow with mascara for a St. Patty’s Day look that’s sure to make people want to kiss you, Irish or not.
Green Queen: ft. NARS Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow in Pasiphae
Although at first this shadow may only seem suitable for a leprechaun, using it with a copper base brings out its warmer tones so it can truly shine and add a festive flair to any makeup look.
- After applying primer, apply a copper eyeshadow like the Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Eyeshadow in Iced Brown (ME644) all over your lids as the base of the look.
- Next, deepen the outer corners of your eyes with a matte, chocolate brown like the Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Eyeshadow and Powder Blush in Sweet Chestnut Matte (M630) to increase definition and balance out the shiny copper.
- Now, lightly pat the green NARS Dual Intensity Eyeshadow on the center of your eyelids to create a subtle green sheen.
- Highlight the inner corner of your eyes with the Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow Eyeshadow and Powder Blush in Golden Beige (ME512) and the area under your eyebrow arch with Pink Ivory (I514) for added glow.
- Now, blend these various shadows by taking a fluffy brush and adding some light, matte brown shadow like the Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Naked to your crease.
- For added drama, create a winged liner look with Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner
- Finish off your eyes with some mascara for a look that’s ready for some Saint Patrick’s Day fun.
Not only are these looks hot, they’ll also keep you looking better than the masses clad in oversized glittery hats and cliché “Kiss Me, I’m Irish” t-shirts. Now that’s a win win.